Monday, May 19, 2008

I Must be Stressed When...

I start feeling the crafty itch start to creep into my muscles. I was busy tearing apart my bin of fabric before I realized that I was in the full swing of a craft attack. Towards the end of the quarter I start getting swamped with papers and final projects which leaves no time (at least no reasonable time) for craft projects. Once I unconsciously realize I shouldn't be making anything, I REALLY want to start frantically sewing two things together, ANY two things (look out Monty...). So yesterday I found myself breaking out my brand new Ikea ironing board (it's so tiny and cute, how could I resist?) and cutting apart plastic bags. I'd seen the tutorial a long time ago and the idea has been ruminating in the back of my mind since. My final product was.... interesting. Apparently it's a hard process to get right, so I'm mildly pleased with mine. However, no amount of melting, shredding or burning will ever make brown Safeway bags attractive (on a side note, I discovered that if you bring in your own canvas bags, or shopping bags of any kind, into Safeway they give you three cents per bag back. How cool? I guess they're sort of sneaky about it and don't tell you that that's what they're doing when they just credit it back on your receipt, but my cashier forgot to do it so she just gave me the change back, thus my discovery). Anyway, here's the final three foot square product:
It's so ugly that I think it'll be a cage liner for mister Monty-pants.
Plus it has this weird texture... sort of like melty naked-mole-rat skin. I sense a cool art project in the future. Naked mole rat Halloween costume anyone? Or even better, a Procession of the Species costume! Bingo...
Oh, and I tore out a part of the yard next to our fence for some tomato plants and whatever other veggie starts I can scrounge up between the farmers market in town and the organic farm stand on campus. I'm pretty excited about that. Herb garden anyone?

1 comment:

Agent Jellie said...

It turned out like that because you did it without me! BAD HANNAH!!