Wednesday, April 30, 2008

During My Day...

I check Vice Magazine pretty often. It's a mecca of hipster fashion do's and dont's, serious journalism and just weird and funky things. So I stay pretty entertained between fifteen minute bouts of homework. Today, however, I found a VBS (Vice TV) series on Garbage Island, a patch of trash the size of Texas floating in the Pacific Ocean between San Francisco and Hawaii. It's called Toxic and I'm only halfway through episode one and I realized that I had to post this. Unbelievable. No, wait, totally believable but mind blowing that it's NOT unbelievable.

"There's so much that individuals... you know they get inundated, inundated, inundated and yet something really significant like the Gyre, nobody knows about it. I mean if we didn't have this boat and some people, who would ever tell us about it? It's in the middle of nowhere, why would it effect us? It's in the middle of nowhere and we don't see it. And if we don't see it, it doesn't exist" (episode 3).


Here is the first episode:
There are twelve episodes in all, and can be found here. Too bad we can't blame everything on the Commies anymore. Thanks McCarthy.

3 comments:

Ben Jammin said...

Hannah i am getting so accustomed to your weekly visits after bee keeping class that your absence this week was quite heart breaking. It was like Tuesdays with Maier, ya know?
Anyways, hope things are well.
Ben

Star said...

I just got a copy of Vice Magazine (addressed to some random ex-tenant of the house) and there are titties in it! and kitties dressed up! titties and kitties!

Agent Jellie said...

After doing exactly what this article mentions in order to find a picture of this thing, I found the story explaining why I couldn't:

http://theoystersgarter.com/2007/10/23/why-there-are-no-pictures-of-the-north-pacific-trash-gyre/

This is all rather disconcerting. Especially after the infertility information. Oohhhhhh.... :(