Friday, November 07, 2008

My Little Invalid

Monty, once again, has an abscess. This is sad because he's sleepy, ouchie and grumpy. And it requires one of two available treatments. The problem is that this one is the second abscess. Apparently bunnies are prone to these nasty infections which act like cancer and have to be treated like tumors. They. Are. NASTY. And painful.

Monty feeling sad and needy.

1.) Get an x-ray of his head for $500 to see if it's his tooth (which I think it highly likely) and if so give him a $850 bit of surgery to remove the abscess and possibly the tooth (in all likelihood it doesn't even include tooth removal because the vet said they don't have the technology there to do it). Total foreseeable cost: $1,350 with the possibility that it won't work and that he won't be able to eat correctly.

2.) Shoot him full of antibiotics for a month and hope that against all expectations they actually do something. The vet said that she's gotten it to shrink bunny abscesses a few times before, but no one actually recommends doing it. Total cost: $100 and a months worth of time with Monty and, in the off chance it cures him, a happy time until the next one. Oh, and this means that I have to shove a needle under his skin but above his muscle and inject him with refrigerated antibiotics every three days on top of giving him oral doses every morning for a month. I am not good with the injection part, really not good. I try so hard but he has skin like a rhino... the cutest rhino you've ever seen. Damn rhino skin.


I chose the second one. The antibiotics should at least shrink the abscess and make it easier to deal with if I choose to go that route and they might even make it go away. Which would be nice. Right now Monty has been super cuddly, I think it's the drugs but I keep telling myself that he always loves to be held for hours and falls asleep on me all the time. He doesn't, but it makes me feel a little better. He's been getting some bananas and raisins and carrot tops as treats which make him happier than a piggie in fermented corn.

1 comment:

Star said...

i'm so sorry my dear :-(
<3's to monty :-\