Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Holidays...

I've been thinking about this for a while now, I've started to dread the holidays. Having to rush out find something which usually winds up being meaningless because by the time I start shopping, it's two weeks before the day and I'm in a blind panic because I know that I NEED to find something because that's just how it works... right? This year I want to do something different.

In high school we had a representative from Heifer International, a charity that sends animals to countries in need of food and clothing. It's extremely inexpensive (you can buy a whole goat for $120 or a share in a goat for $10... or honey bees for $30). If you stop and think about, really think about what you spend every year on things you're not sure the other person will like or use and then translate that into some good you can be doing other people in the world... I think it makes a big difference.
for Heifer and I might look around for a few more so for now, and these upcoming holidays, I would like you to think about giving to this charity instead of buying me anything, or donate to a charity of your choice. In the end it's more about the people and relationships than it is about the gifts and shopping.

No comments: