Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Professors VS Mothers... Who Will Win? MSN of Course...

Occasionally, when I open my hotmail account I scan the list of "MSN Today" stories they have camping out at the bottom of my window. I even click on them like I'm sure thousands of other bleary-eyed hotmail users before school/work/alcoholism starts them on their day. This morning was no different, but I decided to click on a story about how babies smiling trigger the same areas of the brain that are used when the consumption of alcohol or other more illegal substances happens.
This line, quoted from a pediatrics professor, caught my eye just as I was losing interest:

“We know similar brain circuits are activated,” he added.
“Whether that feels the same as a shot of cocaine, I’m not sure.”
And then I thought to myself, "that's an odd comparison... there's gotta be more crazy in this story than I thought." When lo and behold I find Crazy Crack Mother (now known as CCM) who said this choice line:
“Does it feel like a high? Oh, yeah,”
said Lyons, who surrounds herself with photos of her boys.
“It’s got to be like crack. I just have to see them everywhere."
She was later found rocking in a corner, crooning to herself over a bottle of baby shampoo.
In other MSN news, there's a school in New York that is supposed to prepare you/train you to try out for a spot on a reality show. I'm a little sad that the story just reaffirms that the shows aren't based on normal people, sigh.... if they were it would be full of boring, sane and totally reasonable people who would hang out, eat stuff, shower occasionally and then maybe take some tourist photos if they made it out of one of those amazing houses.
All of this reminded me of Ben's post about MSN stories and how utterly frightening they are. Especially the article about "Tiny Hookers? The Most Humiliating Baby Names of All Times." Classy...

1 comment:

Ben Jammin said...

Thanks for the shout-out! :)