Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Welcome to Evergreen

I had my first day of my Doing Research class tonight. We came up with some rough and vague topics for research for the next five weeks:

- Women in Washington State Legislature
- Bipolar Disorder
- Transgendered parenting
- Pack behavior in canines
- Organizational Change
- Lost years of Jesus/Historical Jesus
- Spanish Civil War
- Deaf Culture
- Self-help Books
- Food insecurity in America
- Marketing

RRRRrrrraaaaaaaaaannddoommmmmmm.

Now, these are the topics we came up with during the first 4o minutes of our 4 hour class. We kind of messed around with them, did some exercises and I wound up with the slightly narrower question "How is language used within the education system?" More specifically, I want to look at the words the school officials use to define deafness and how that shapes their policy with dealing with children with disabilities within their schools. In the Puget Sound area, and in many places within the U.S. there are deaf schools set up. Deaf students from the surrounding school districts are sent to these schools, however, once the schools realize how much money is spent on the transportation, education and the materials for these students that could be spent within their own schools, the children are usually recalled back to the public schools. Only deaf students with behavioral problems are sent to special residential schools. Anywho, that's what I came up with after four hours. I have five weeks to change my mind and mess about with it some more.

No comments: