Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Name's "Ima Tourist!"

Today was the first day I explored Florence on my own, so I decided to play tourist and hit a couple of hot spots.

The Duomo... obviously. We live pretty close to it, about three blocks to the East and we just about walk by it to get to the school.

Plazza della Signoria where a replica of the all so famous David statue resides. Trust me, he's in here too, don't you worry your pretty little head.

Cosimo I

Horsies! Part of the Fountain of Neptune, along with...

This guy. He's having some sort of fit but I couldn't get close enough to really see what sort of face he's making, but he definitely doesn't look like he's have a tremendous amount of fun.

Or is he?

Crazy hernia-genie-scroll man who wears a turban. Who knew?
The death of Medusa.Hercules and Cacus.... obviously not afraid to be a little gay.
You know... just a little.

Hercules and the Centaur.
The Rape of Sabines.
... which I have to say was my favorite. Not so much because of the theme, but how beautiful the shapes are and... you just can't put everything into words and the pictures don't even remotely do it justice.

Aaaaannndddd of course the David... or at least a copy.

And a close up of the dog head on the Hercules statue... the pigeons usually kind of mute the awesome effect of these huge statues... but this time it's just hilarious. So fearsome!



No comments: